For all of you who may be slightly inspired by my previous post, here is a quick and easy little project that makes the cutest little tissue holder for your purse. It takes very little fabric and maybe 20 minutes of your time. They make nice little surcies and are very useful. You can use fabric scraps you already have or, if you need to purchase material it only takes 1/4 yard and you can make several!! Let's get started!
First you will need to make a pattern. Cut a rectangle 6.5" x 7.5". I usually use newspaper but you can use tissue paper or printer paper.
1. Cut 2 pieces of fabric. One is your face fabric, the other will be the lining. You can cut both pieces out of the same fabric or use something different for the lining. I'm using a pretty red toile for Valentine's!
2. Pin right sides together and stitch a 1/4" seam allowance around all 4 sides leaving about a 2-3 inch opening on one of the long sides to turn the fabric. Useful tip: When beginning a seam and ending a seam backstitch to secure stitches. By doing this you won't have to worry about your seams coming apart when you turn your fabric.
3. Trim corners and trim seam allowance about 2 inches down on each side of corner. This will keep your fabric smooth at the corners when it is turned and it won't bunch up.
4. Turn your fabric inside out making sure your corners are pulled out and sharp. I usually use a HUGE safety pin to help me do this. They make a tool to help you do this but I've just never bought one. Press your side seams and corners flat making sure the opening seam allowance is turned in and smooth. You don't have to stitch the opening because it will be encased in your final end seams.
5. Fold your rectangle in half along long sides and pin to mark the middle.