Wednesday, March 2, 2011

"Bless Your Heart Ya'll"...Let's Sweeten It Up!

I guess "Bless Your Heart" and "Ya'll" are the two most common phrases used or associated with the south.  I for one, use Bless your Heart all the time and I truly mean it's sentiment when I say it.  I'm not one for "puttin' on" as my grandma use to say (that means doing something that's not heart-felt!).  Sometimes when my feelings are really deep felt, I might even say, "Bless your angel heart!" because it's something that touches me to the core and I am truly feeling your pain or celebrating your joy!  Sometimes southerners use Bless Your Heart just because they don't know what to say about a situation.  It could be a situation when saying anything at all could just ruin everything so all you can think of  is .....Bless Your Heart."  Ya'll on the other hand, is a term I use quite frequently but I surely don't run it in the ground like Paula Deen or Pat and Gina Neely.  They have worn that word out!!!  We use it daily without even thinking about what we're saying......but not in every sentence and surely not every other word in that sentence!!  Why just this afternoon I counted how many times Pat Neely used the word "Ya'll" in 1 minute and it was 9 times!!  In just one minute!  Just because you use "Ya'll" in your speaking does not make you a southerner.  It's like they are trying too hard to make it happen!  Using it should come natural and not in every sentence.  "Ya'll" is a contraction for "You All".  We we use a lot of contractions in the south because we have a tendency to just run our words together.  You might not know what we're saying, but we do! 

Sometimes, just saying Bless Your Heart is not enough...I need to do something a little deeper, put some actions behind my sentiments...so I bake "Bless Your Heart" cookies.  I  know everyone has a friend that needs cheering up from time to time and this is a sweet way to just say, "I'm thinking of you...Bless Your Heart".  Sometimes I package these sweet. little heart-shaped cookies up in a cellophane bag with a bow, But don't forget to put a little tag on the package to let the recipient know they are "Bless Your Heart Cookies".  They don't have to be small but there is just something cute about these tiny little hearts that makes them a little more special.
I have a wonderful sugar cookie recipe that freezes well before they are baked, and even after they are baked.  I have been using this recipe for 24 years! We made Christmas cookie at Union Kindergarten when my daughter went to preschool there!  These cookies are about 1.25 inches wide.  Packaging makes them even more special ~
And sometimes I will even put the bag in a pretty teacup!  I love teacups and I think a cup tea and a cookie is just what the doctor ordered for anyone that needs cheering up! I got this teacup for $2.00 at Marshall's.  I am always picking up the best deals there!  I just hide my little treasures in my gift closet, then I'll always have something on hand when I need a little surcie for someone!

Here is the recipe I used but if you don't have time to mix everything up you can always buy the ready made sugar cookie dough in the dairy case or use a sugar cookie mix.  Sometimes I sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top of the cookie...yum!

Sugar Cookies

1/2 cup butter at room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla or flavoring of your choice

Mix butter, sugar, vanilla, and egg together.  Add dry ingredients and mix until the dough starts to come together.  Remove from bowl onto counter and press dough together and form a disk.  Wrap in sara wrap and chill at least 1 hour.  Roll out dough onto surface covered with powdered sugar (some people like to use flour).  Cut cookies and place on greased cookie sheet.  Chill cut cookies in fridge for about 15 minutes.  Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until slightly browned on the edges.

Ya'll have fun now.....Bless Your Heart!  ~Becky
 

3 comments:

  1. That's a great idea! A lot of people around here have just shortened it to "Bless!" or "Bless it!" I like "Bless your heart" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to laugh when I read this, Becky! I think of the times (also being from the South)I've used "Bless Your Heart" or "Bless their Heart" sometimes you just don't know what else to say!!
    I agree about Paula, she has just about made me crazy with this "Y'all" business, never, ever, have I heard anyone use that in the South as much as she does!! Does it make her think people will identify her as being a Southerner??? I mean really, her accent says it all!

    ReplyDelete